Hey everyone! I'm Ashley Ochsenhirt and I am a sophomore communications major with a minor in graphic design! My three loves in life: tennis, my dog, and Netflix. You will more than likely be hearing about those a lot! I hope you enjoy reading about my stories and thoughts, and I would love to hear your feedback.

Monday, April 10, 2017

ONU Special Olympics

This past weekend, I had the privilege of working with the Ohio Northern University annual special olympics. The special olympics is a program that Ohio Northern puts on every year held by the SAAC where they raise money for the special needs program in the area.

This event lasted a couple hours where the participants were able to try different sports and learn new techniques and drills. They then challenged themselves in these events. This consisted of events like softball, running, soccer, etc. I worked the soccer station where my tennis team and I cheered on the participants as they scored goals and learned some new drills.

At the end of the event, there was a raffle for all the participants. Each Ohio Northern athletic team made a basket full of good prizes with a different theme. For example, the tennis team made a beach themed bag which included beach toys, sun tan lotion, sunglasses, and more. The director of the event then drew names out of a hat, and each participant chose the basket of their choice.

Being able to see how happy this made everybody was a moment I will cherish forever. I am so happy I was able to work this event, and it makes me feel good to give back and raise money for a great cause. I was able to meet some great kids and their parents while hearing some of their stories.  I will definitely be working with this event next year and look forward to it!

3 comments:

  1. I think this is amazing. I am so glad you got the opportunity to take part and help in this event. I have never had the privilege to help with the event, but I think it would be fun and eye opening to watch or teach the kids something new. I think there is always something that everybody can learn, especially stories from kids that were placed in these situations. It is always good to take a step back from life and help others.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sounds like so much fun! I am so glad that you got to be apart of Special Olympics and help with the event. I had no idea that Ohio Northern hosted this amazing event. I personally have never had the opportunity to help with this event, but I would to at some point. Thanks for sharing and helping with such an awesome event! I am sure you made so many people happy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is absolutely wonderful to hear about! It sounds like everyone in attendance had a lot of fun. I wasn't aware that Ohio Northern did something like this. I wish they would advertise it more so other students can go and cheer on the kids. Thank you for sharing and I'm glad to hear that you had a good time!

    ReplyDelete