Hey everyone! I'm Ashley Ochsenhirt and I am a sophomore communications major with a minor in graphic design! My three loves in life: tennis, my dog, and Netflix. You will more than likely be hearing about those a lot! I hope you enjoy reading about my stories and thoughts, and I would love to hear your feedback.

Sunday, April 30, 2017

Looking Back On My Year

As the second semester of my sophomore year comes to a close, I am starting to think back and remember all of the good times I had and memories I made. Moving to Ohio from Alabama is not easy and no one said it was. Transitioning from a big city in the South to a small town in Ohio was a huge change. I didn't know what to expect at first, but after spending a whole year here I can say that it exceeded my expectations.

Of course like any other college student, there were times this year where I wanted to sit in my room and scream at how stressed I was or how tired I was from staying up all hours of night. If i could give one word of advice from my past year here at Ohio Northern, it would be to just get out of your comfort zone.

A lot of people say they don't want to leave their hometowns or they want to atleast be close to home, and that is how I thought at first. I am very close to my family so it was hard to leave them, but I knew change would be good for me. I had never really been out of the South much, so deciding to move up north was risky especially because I wasn't used to snow. I learned pretty quickly that I don't like snow. However, without stepping out of my comfort zone I would never had met the people I did and build the strong friendships I have now. I would never have had the opportunity to play tennis for such a great team and travel to so many places.

I'm not saying you should move colleges and live in a different state across the country, but from experience I would advise everyone to try and step out of their comfort zone. Try something new or go to a new place. You never know how it can change your mindset on the world or even your life. It changed mine and I can't wait to see what my future in Ohio has in store!

5 comments:

  1. I learned my sophomore year how much better it is to be involved. You have a group of people you can always talk to and get to know. Just be careful and do not overload yourself which is what I did as well. I graduate in less than two weeks and I am running around trying to accomplish everything I wanted to do along with school work and expectations from organizations. This year had a pretty mild snowfall so I hope for you it stays like that until you graduate!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stepping out of your comfort zone can be the hardest thing to overcome in life. I learned that this year as well. I am generally a shy person who does not have too many friends. This semester changed that for me in a heartbeat. I joined Kappa Pi and Kappa Phi this semester, allowing me to gain so many new friends. I hope you continue to enjoy your journey here at ONU and in Ohio.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm happy to hear that you took chances and they paid off! Some people are too afraid to get out there so kudos to you for doing so. I'm glad that you were able to make your place at ONU. Best of luck to you in the future and keep stepping out of your comfort zone!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Best of luck next year, Ashely! It was great to read your blog this summer. You are growing out of your comfort zone and I can't wait to see what's in store for you! Thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I wish you the best! I have enjoyed your blog this semester!

    ReplyDelete