Hey everyone! I'm Ashley Ochsenhirt and I am a sophomore communications major with a minor in graphic design! My three loves in life: tennis, my dog, and Netflix. You will more than likely be hearing about those a lot! I hope you enjoy reading about my stories and thoughts, and I would love to hear your feedback.

Tuesday, March 21, 2017

Every Major Has Its Struggles

There is something that has been bothering me for a while now and has come up in conversation quite often with people I associate with. I am a communications major with a minor in graphic design and I get told day after day how easy my major is. I get weird looks when I tell people I have a lot of homework and projects, or when I tell them I am stressed about something due.

I get the same answer so often. "How can you be complaining? Your major is so easy".

Things like this make me mad. A lot of my friends are Biology or Pharmacy majors, and I know it is difficult, but it bothers me when people think anything that's not Pharmacy or Biology is easy.

In my opinion, every major has its own struggles. For example, I am terrible at science. It is not my strength and I give a lot of credit to my Biology and Pharmacy friends who have to take a million classes for it. I would definitely struggle through that and they handle it very well. However, a lot of people don't realize how much hard work and time is put into art projects and graphic assignments on the computer. I think every major is unique, and each has a different form of hard work. If college was as simple as "drawing and coloring" everybody would do it. It's not as easy as it seems.

Of course, some majors are more difficult and require more studying than others, but that does not mean that every other major is a walk in the park. Every college student has their own struggles and dealing with those late nights and several cups of coffee just to cram for a test or finish a project. I know there are several different majors in my social media principles class, so I am interested in knowing if anyone else deals with the same things. I would love to hear your thoughts!

3 comments:

  1. This has always been an issue on Ohio Northern's campus because pharmacy dominates. Every major does have that struggle but students chose to do that. They chose the late night study sessions or cramming for exams. Personally I chose a major that I could do a lot with and would not be forced to do the same thing for the rest of my life. I live with an art major and she spent the whole weekend working on her capstone. Just because some majors are from a book does not mean they are easy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Girl preach! I am a theatre and public relations major and everyone is always telling me that my classes are easy because I don't have homework. I might not have physical worksheets to complete but my professors expect a lot of memorization and character development to be done outside of class. Never feel ashamed of your major and the work you put into it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love, Love, LOVE! You are absolutely right! This is such an issue on Ohio Northern's campus and honestly I am not sure why others feel it necessary. Every major on campus requires a tremendous amount of work, effort and skill to adhere to. I think that everyone needs to come to the realization that we are all in this together no matter what our major. It is so important to support one another because in the end we all want the same thing, a career in what we love. Thanks for sharing, I know many of us can relate to this post!

    ReplyDelete