Hey everyone! I'm Ashley Ochsenhirt and I am a sophomore communications major with a minor in graphic design! My three loves in life: tennis, my dog, and Netflix. You will more than likely be hearing about those a lot! I hope you enjoy reading about my stories and thoughts, and I would love to hear your feedback.

Monday, February 27, 2017

How I Spent My Sunday

As I have mentioned in previous posts, I play for the Ohio Northern tennis team. We have both a fall and spring season, but spring is the one that really matters. Spring season is our conference season. This past Sunday, we played our first match of the season. My tennis team traveled to Hamilton, Ohio to play Miami University of Ohio. Miami is an NCAA division I college. Ohio Northern is division III if you didn't know. Competing at the division I level is the highest level of competition there is. Our coach decided we should play a school much better than us to give us good competition and experience to make us better. Miami of Ohio has won its conference title the last 17 out of 18 years. So needless to say, they are incredible.

If you don't know tennis, there are six singles courts that play and three doubles courts. I played the first spot in singles and doubles. I knew I was going to have to play the best on their team, which made me nervous already. The girl I played is Russian, super strong and a little over six feet tall. I was already intimidated just looking at her.

The match ended up being better than I thought. I lost, but I played a lot better than I expected. I could hang in there with her, and she didn't blow me off the court like I thought she would. She was an amazing player and clearly better than me, but I was proud of myself for how I played and giving her some competition I don't think she was expecting.

On a more serious note, the Miami of Ohio tennis team sadly had one of their players pass away over Christmas break. In her honor, we decided to wear red and white (their colors) ribbons.

In the end, our team ended up losing, but it was a great experience. Facing a division I team was something I needed to make me better. It is always good to play somebody better, worse and the same level as you. I am happy we got to make the trip over there and play Miami of Ohio. I learned so much about myself and my game.

No comments:

Post a Comment