Hey everyone! I'm Ashley Ochsenhirt and I am a sophomore communications major with a minor in graphic design! My three loves in life: tennis, my dog, and Netflix. You will more than likely be hearing about those a lot! I hope you enjoy reading about my stories and thoughts, and I would love to hear your feedback.

Tuesday, January 24, 2017

Alabama girl takes on Ohio

I am from Alabama, as you probably know, and I get asked on multiple occasions about where I am from and I can't even tell you how many times I hear that a day. Especially the first day of classes. I knew what I was getting into as I packed my bags and headed up to little Ada, Ohio to attend Ohio Northern University.

"So, why are you in Ohio?"
Yes, this is probably the most popular question I get asked. I never really know how to approach it sometimes, actually. I usually respond with "I play tennis and wanted something different." That's honestly the truth. I am actually a transfer from a small school in Mississippi. I was very unhappy there and knew I wanted to transfer, just didn't know where. One day, I honestly just kind of woke up and thought to myself that I wanted to move up north and experience something different. I am for sure getting that difference.

"Why don't you have a southern accent?"
This is also a very common question that I get. I really don't have an answer for that. My theory is that I binge watched the Kardashians, and it changed my voice. But really, there is no explanation. When people think of Alabama, they usually think of rednecks with three teeth that live in trailers. Of course, that is so stereotypical and not even close to how it actually is. Don't get me wrong though, they do exist.

"How did you hear about ONU?"
I've talked to quite a few people who have lived in Ohio their whole lives, and didn't know what ONU was until their junior or senior year of high school. With my case, I knew I wanted to continue to play tennis, and I was majoring in graphic design at the time, so I needed a place that had both. I wasn't necessarily just looking in the north, but I knew that's ultimately where I wanted to be. So, I googled a bunch of schools, and that's where I found ONU.

"You are crazy for leaving the warm weather!"
Now this is something I may have a little regret with. I knew what to expect when I moved up north. I knew it was going to be very cold and snow a lot. However, I miss my warm Alabama weather so much When I was home for Christmas, it was mostly in the 70s or 80s. But, I am starting to get used to it.

Altogether, I arm really enjoying ONU. I am so much happier now than I was at my old school. I have made good friends, and have a great tennis team. Even though I am an outsider to Ohio life, I feel like I have been fitting right in and am looking forward to the next couple years!

No comments:

Post a Comment