Hey everyone! I'm Ashley Ochsenhirt and I am a sophomore communications major with a minor in graphic design! My three loves in life: tennis, my dog, and Netflix. You will more than likely be hearing about those a lot! I hope you enjoy reading about my stories and thoughts, and I would love to hear your feedback.

Tuesday, April 25, 2017

Three Important Things In Public Relations

I decided to change it up a little this week and talk about public relations. Normally I like to write about social media, but I feel like people need to learn more about PR. I recently came across an article from Chron that gave me a better understanding and some tips I want to share.

What is Public Relations?
Having a career in public relations means your work is always in the spotlight. The key is sharing information with the public to raise awareness and to create a positive image for your client. Success requires three skill sets.

1. Communications Prowess 

  • To be successful in public relations you need great communication skills. You must be able to act professional which means field questions with ease. Written communication is equally important. Your messages should be clear.
2. Exceptional Attention to Detail 
  • Word choice is critical in public relations. The wrong word can cause a positive statement to spin the wrong way. Little things like remembering the names of people you interact with can take you a long way. 
3. Proficiency in All Media 
  • While paper may be more comprehensive, electronic media open new doors to creativity. Blogs, tweets and posts should be an important part of your public relations campaign.
As you can see, public relations is so much more than just talking to a client. I learned a lot from this article because I never really knew a lot about public relations, and I hope you learned a few things from these tips as well. 

No comments:

Post a Comment